Click here for the article, "Perry Ad Focuses on Gays and Christianity" by Richard A. Oppel, Jr.
Source: NY Times
Rick Perry's new campaign ad may offend many people, because it definitely has offended me. The opening sentence is, "I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m a Christian, but you don’t need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there’s something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can’t openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school." Does Rick Perry really think this will get him elected? Even though many of the voters in the Iowa caucus are Christian, this view of the war on religion that Perry has is not shared by many other Americans. It's clear that Perry is against Obama when it comes to gay rights and religion, but in my opinion he could be more diplomatic with his words. There are so many homosexuals in the United States, and with this ad Perry lost their vote. Perry also lost votes from people with a view like mine. My view is that even though I am Catholic and I find it weird when people say "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" instead of "Merry Christmas," I would never compare such a trivial matter to open gays in the military. I am pro-gay rights. I do not want everyone to have this Rick Perry-ized opinion of Christians now, we all don't think like that. Perry later adds that he believes faith will make America strong again, I don't think religion is the problem at all. America is a melting pot of all cultures, races, and religions. Rick Perry can't change everyone's, or even a majority's, beliefs overnight with his ad.
The author of the article was more for the liberal side, even though the article seems pretty neutral. The more liberal side came out when the author used a quote from R. Clarke Cooper, Log Cabin Republicans' executive director, "Governor Perry is running to be commander-in-chief, not theocrat-in-chief." This statement sums up my thoughts about the ad.
Click here for the controversial ad!
No comments:
Post a Comment