Sunday, January 15, 2012

Make it or break it in South Carolina

Click here for the article, "South Carolina GOP voters think Mitt is it: 'I'm here because I'd like to shake hands with the new president'" by Liz Goodwin
Source: Yahoo

Now that the New Hampshire primary is over, where Romney took first and Paul came in second, all the attention is moving to South Carolina. This state could either make it or break it for some candidates. Since 1980, the winner of SC went on to become the eventual Republican nominee. Rick Perry needs to win or else there isn't really a point for him to run anymore, especially after only receiving 1% of the votes in New Hampshire. He's planning on getting many votes because South Carolina is such a conservative state. The thing that's turning some voters away is the fact that Perry allowed illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition for public universities in Texas. Ron Paul is a crowd favorite throughout the younger folks, but he isn't exactly president material in some people's eyes. Paul's foreign policy (which I am a fan of) seems too outrageous for many people. Santorum is very conservative and many SC residents are attracted to him, but his high spending puts some voters off. Mitt Romney is very popular simply because of the fact that he's won the past two states. Jonathan Lizotte even said, "I'm here because I'd like to shake hands with the new president" at one of Romney's speeches.

I think the author is very neutral, she presents each candidate in the same way. Goodwin writes about the positives and negatives of the top candidates. I think reading this article could help some voters decide who they want to vote for. I agree with some of the people that were interviewed, Mitt Romney is a very strong candidate and even though I don't like him very much, he will probably go on to be nominated. I guess we have to wait until November...

No comments:

Post a Comment