Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sneaky question at the NH debate...

Click here to watch the Meet the Press debate in New Hampshire moderated by David Gregory (1/8/12)
Source: MSNBC 

This is a very important debate because the primaries are coming up in New Hampshire soon and this small state will have a big impact on the GOP race. Mitt Romney is the frontrunner after Iowa, and he's up in the polls in both New Hampshire and South Carolina. David Gregory asked Newt Gingrich this question in the debate "Why shouldn't Gov. Romney be the nominee of this party?" Gingrich responded that Romney is a moderate, not a Reagan conservative like himself. Gingrich adds that Romney has an economic plan so timid it resembles Obama's and also that Romney would have a hard time during debates with Obama. Gov. Romney replied that he's cut taxes 19 times as governor, and the people of New Hampshire definitely see him as a friendly face seeing he's from the neighboring state of Massachusetts. Romney also said in his defense that he created more jobs in Mass. alone than Pres. Obama has created in United States. Afterwards, Rick Santorum answered the question by rhetorically asking Romney "If your record was so great in Massachusetts, why didn't you run again?" Santorum said that he was in a similar position in a 71% democratic location and he ran and even won. Another thing that Santorum adds is that Romney has proven to be inconsistent. To this Mitt Romney said that he didn't want to have a political career, to him "politics is not a career, for me my career was being in business."

This debate is important and I think that throwing such a difficult and honestly, mean question out there is a smart move on David Gregory's side. The answers to this question inform the voters about the candidates opinions on themselves and their opponents. I like Mitt Romney and I agree with him, he went to do what he wanted to in Massachusetts and after that he left. I'm sure it was hard for him to leave after doing so much for a state he clearly loves, but life goes on. He went to pursue his career in business. If I was a candidate and I was asked that question, I would've found a diplomatic way out of it, because no one likes a person that attacks another person.

No comments:

Post a Comment